First Church has been engaged in its mission to Worship God, Follow Christ, and Live in the Spirit for more than two centuries through regular worship, Christian formation, and mission outreach. In 1913, the Liberty Street Cumberland Presbyterian Church (established in 1826) and the First Presbyterian Church (established in 1841) merged.
The present building was erected in 1888. First Presbyterian is the only church included in the Harry S. Truman Historical District. The church is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and is site No. 19 in the American Presbyterian/Reformed Historic Sites Registry. Harry Truman attended Sunday School and met Bess Wallace at here.
The Archive Committee, as part of mission outreach, has assembled an accessible, well curated repository of church documents and artifacts for area residents and visitors engaged in research of this historic record. Contact the church office (816-252-6662) for more information.